Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Running History of My Running - Part 1

In late 1991 a routine blood test showed a slightly elevated PSA reading. Every six months for the next 5 years I would have another blood test and each time the PSA levels increased so each time I would have an ultrasound and ‘snip’ biopsy. No cancer cells were found. Finally in February 1997 with a PSA reading exceeding 17 my urologist “drilled” my prostate, taking 20 core samples which contained a few cells of cancer. At 48 years old and given the technology at the time surgery was the best option. On March 16th, 1997 I underwent a radical prostatectomy.

Undergoing two general anesthetics in a month’s time puts a tremendous strain on your body. I had qualified for our firm’s convention trip to Puerto Rico, scheduled for exactly one month after my surgery. In addition, our family’s time share in St. Thomas was available. What could be better, recovery on tropical beaches for two weeks! My first goal was to recover enough to make the trip.

The first morning in Puerto Rico I was up early and headed for the beach. I managed to make my first “run” of about 20 yards. I decided to try a swim, but dared not swim in the ocean. I was able to complete one length (not lap) in the pool. Every morning for those two weeks I would run a few steps further and swim a little bit further finally snorkeling in Megan’s Bay St. Thomas.

My recovery was short-circuited by a third surgery in April to repair some damage done by the surgery. That third surgery really took its toll. I can remember having to lie down on my office floor to take a nap, so that I had enough energy to drive home at the end of the day.Check Spelling

Sometime that winter I joined a Master’s swimming program at the “Y”. I was the slowest in the slow lane, unable to complete each segment of the workout, but I began to improve slowly. I set a goal of completing a sprint triathlon in the summer of 1998 and entered the South County race. A mere 500 yard pool swim, 12 mile bike ride and 5k run. I was determined to finish even if I had to stop for a nap! Our son Matthew also entered the race (probably because Susan wanted him to watch out for me). He had long finished and was cooling down when I finally began my run. He ran alongside me helping me with my form and encouraging me the entire 5k.

I finished absolutely last, but I finished. I will always remember that feeling and the thought that ran through my head: “I’m back baby, I’m back and I’m alive”.
RunGrampyRun

No comments:

Post a Comment