Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Qualify Grampy Qualify Week 1

Thanks Maggie (Sally's Mom) for the winning title.

Boston is the Holy Grail for marathoner's. Just to qualify for Boston is a great accomplishment, actually completing it an even greater one. To qualify you must complete a certified marathon in less than a set time limit for your age band.

So, if 60 is the new 50 I would need to run a 3:35---HA! I'll proudly announce that I will be 63 on race day and qualify with a 4:00 hour marathon. Let's review that: 26.2 miles in 4 hours is a 9:09 minute per mile pace or 6.55 MPH, HMMMM can I drive my car?

Phase I: Prepare for a fall marathon, by first reaching these goals:
  1. Reduce weight from 168 (ugh!) to 155 (Did I really tell you that information?)
  2. Reduce body fat by 10-15% (Notice I did NOT include any "before" pictures.)
  3. Build strength: Strength builds speed and strength helps avoid injuries

How am I going to accomplish this?

30 days of concentrated cross training: Cardio, Upper & lower body, Arms & back, Core and Flexibility. This means about 1 hour per day 6 days a week. This phase began on May 12th and will cross over the first full week of actual run training which begins June 5th.

Eliminate all "bad" snacks AND diet soda (that one is tough).

Eat small meals 6 times per day in order to provide enough good calories to fuel this level of activity.

Here are some numbers that I crunched just for fun, over this 22 month training I will:

  1. Run 2660 miles
  2. Go thru 6 pairs of running shoes
  3. Consume 665 packets of GU energy gel
  4. Drink 166 gallons of electrolyte sports drink
  5. Have some form of training scheduled for 571 days
  6. Attempt to avoid injuries 95 weeks
  7. Run 3-1/2 to 4 marathons (incl Boston)
  8. Have Susan ask if I am crazy 1 time
  9. Repeat to Susan: "If a little is good, a whole lot is better!" 235 times
  10. Wonder if I am crazy 42 times
  11. Qualify for Boston 1 time
  12. Finish the Boston Marathon 1 time
  13. Know I was absolutely crazy 1 time
  14. Apologize to Susan 1 realllllllly big time
Until next week,
Eric aka RunGrampyRun

No comments:

Post a Comment