Friday, August 13, 2010

QualifyGrampyQualify Part X - 08/13/2010

WOW it's hard to believe, Monday August 16, 2010 was my 62nd birthday! I simply cannot conceive of myself as being 62 years old! So, please allow an old fart a bit of reflection.
Over 38 years ago I met and married Susan. Thank goodness because I likely wouldn't be in my present state of good health otherwise. Over 25 years ago a blood test showed my cholesterol was above the normal range. For that entire time Susan has helped me, encouraged me and yes sometimes lovingly nagged me to eat a healthy diet. While I am still "borderline" high I am certainly not in excess danger.
Also over the past 20 years I have had some medical challenges, from 5 years of testing every 6 months to try to find why my PSA levels were increasing, to surgery for a detached retina to prostate cancer surgery [actually 3 surgeries, one to actually find the cancer, one to remove the prostate and one to repair some damage]. Then came a re-occurrence of my cancer 10 years later and 39 radiation treatments to hopefully wipe it out for good. Then in 2008 another surgery meant to implant a device to correct some damage from the radiation, that surgery went wrong and I got a terrible infection requiring another surgery to ex plant the device. Left on my own devices I may well have not followed up so carefully and my prognosis would certainly not have been as hopeful as they are today. Thank you Susan!

These medical challenges did serve to make me focus on my health and that is when I began running. Beginning is one thing but continuing us another. Having an ongoing challenge is important to me and that brings us to QualifyGrampyQualify Part X:

Here is an update:
Last week I momentarily hit my goal weight, that was due to the 100 + heat index :))

Several weeks ago I actually put that goal on hold for the remainder of this marathon training season. At this point in our training every Saturday run is in excess of a half marathon. Mid week training is climbing also to 25+, for a total exceeding 40 miles and increasing. At this mileage there is NO reasonable amount of calorie reduction that anyone should be doing. My goal will be to eat enough (of the right stuff) to hold my weight. I need to make sure that I am eating smaller meals 4-6 times a day.

At 3 months into my 22 month journey, where do I stand?

Weight: Goal 155, current 160 (fully hydrated)
Mileage: 660 miles since January 1
Hours running: 47 Hours 38 Minutes in past 3 months (probably over 100 since January 1)
Sports Drink: about 9+ gallons
Energy Gels: about 30+
Shoes: On 2nd pair
Have Susan ask if I am crazy: Estimated 1 time, actual 10+ with more to come
Wonder if I AM crazy: Estimated 1 time, actual 2, with more to come
Falls: I didn't even consider this category, currently 2, hoping to stop there

Saturday my training team and I did a 16 mile run in our lovely high heat and humidity. It was a tough run by any standards. One runner did not hydrate properly and ended up in the ER. 2 others suffered heat illness but recovered without taking a side trip with lights & sirens. Most non-runners think we are reallllllllly crazy to be running in this heat. However, it is like many things, if one properly prepares and properly executes a good plan, the goal can be accomplished. I completed the run and while the last couple of miles certainly will not go down as my most favorite I finished without incident. A nap after getting home and eating and I actually did a bit of work in the yard. We then went out to dinner to celebrate my birthday.
I have fully recovered from my fall and no longer have doubts about my goal. I know this is a challenge that I want to continue, after all I promised Sally (if she wants to be a marathoner) that I would run the Chicago Marathon with her when she is 18. That is the year 2025 and I will be 77 years old.
Until next time.
Eric
aka RunGrampyRun

No comments:

Post a Comment