Sunday, August 29, 2010

QualifyGrampyQualify-Part XII-08/29/2010

I must say that I have never felt better [knock wood]! This recent break in the heat, of course, has helped tremendously. That said, I also know that I am in better condition than I have ever been. Increasing my caloric intake is an important key as the miles increase. I am now watching the scale to make sure my weight holds steady.

I am very pleased with my progress. I cannot attempt a qualification at Lewis & Clark in October As a coach I will run with my team at their target pace. Because of this I am considering looking for another fall/spring marathon for my first attempt to qualify for Boston. It would be great to get it done so that I can, hopefully get registered for 2012. Waiting until fall of 2011 will mean that I likely that Boston will be filled and I won't get registered until Boston 2013, something that I really didn't take into account when formulating my goals.

Last Saturday's 17 mile run included a significant hill. The hill repeats I did last Tuesday served me well. I was able to stride up the hill at a good pace with virtually no "huffing and puffing" :)) My training group did an excellent job, keeping right on pace with me. We finished our run at an 10:24 ave pace, just 6 seconds faster than long run goal pace.

Mileage is beginning to add up. This week I will add a fifth day with a short 5 miler for a total of 49 miles this week. That will put me at 784 miles for the year.

This week's speed-work is 1 very simple mile, all out, going at MAX. My goal is to break a 7 minute mile. To make sure my legs are fresh rather than run to the track I will drive, run 1 warm up mile then run the timed mile. I'll finish my 8 miles for the day by doing an "out and back" from the track.

I'll report the results later this week, until then...
RunGrampyRun

No comments:

Post a Comment