Monday, September 27, 2010

QualifyGrampyQualify - Part XIV - 09/28/2010

Well, it's been a busy couple of weeks! The "No Passing Zone" team ran our graduation run of 21 miles 2 weeks ago followed by "only 10" last Saturday. The excitement is building, race day is this Sunday (10/3) for half the team. Two others race in Chicago on 10-10-10 and one in NYC in about a month.

I believe that this team has really followed the training schedule well and are more ready than any team I have coached. Those of you who have run a marathon know that there are so many things that can affect the outcome of a 26.2 mile race understand when I say: Presuming the weather cooperates, everyone stays healthy, and the stars are aligned I anticipate each of my team will meet their goal on race day.

This week we are "embracing the taper". Mileage and speed are much reduced giving our bodies time to recover from the intense training that we have put them through. Some healing may even need to occur. I for one have some tightness in my left hip flexor causing a change in my stride as my body compensates. I ran this evening (Monday) but will not run again before race day. Following my coach's advice, some walking, stretching and foam rolling will be the extent of my training for the next 5 days. That should allow everything to loosen up and I anticipate being in full form Sunday morning.

As you know if you have read previous blogs, this will be my 5th marathon start. I am both excited and apprehensive since the last 2 marathons were stopped before I could finish. I was pulled from the course at mile 21 in Chicago (2007) and a hurricane canceled the last attempt, yes Hurricane Ike (2008) blew right through St. Louis on race morning! The forecast is beautiful for this weekend low in the mid 40's high in the mid 60's ....perfect running weather. I have my fingers crossed!!!

I'll let you know how it goes,
Eric
aka RunGrampyRun

No comments:

Post a Comment