Sunday, October 3, 2010

QualifyGrampyQualify-Part XV

Today was race day ....... well, that's all I got written Sunday after I completed what is to the last Lewis & Clark Marathon.

I have decided to go into some detail today to help my non-running friends better understand what happens just before and during a marathon. I request a bit of patience from my running readers.
I'll break this into a couple of installments, here is the first:

Sunday, October 3rd, 2010

My marathon day began at 4:00 AM. It was a beautifully cool, crisp morning. There was a sky full of stars and a bright crescent moon lighting the sky. The temperature was just over 40* and I knew then that we were going to have a wonderful day to run a marathon.

Back in the kitchen, I cooked my breakfast: a 4 egg cheddar cheese omelet, a poppy seed bagel and a mix of orange and grapefruit juice chased with just 1 cup of strong coffee. I will likely burn over 4,000 calories before my day is done, I need good fuel. It was too early for the New York Times so while I ate I checked my email and text messages and other that a question on meeting time found that my team apparently had no questions or issues.



Saturday evening I had finished packing my drop bag with dry and warm clothes in which to change at the finish. My race number and GU gels which provide calories and vital electrolytes such as sodium and potassium, were attached to my fuel belt. That along with my hat, gloves & sunglasses were all in the car so they would not be left at home accidentally. Now it was time for the pre-race preparation. Contact lenses in, Body Glide applied in any potential friction spot, Nip Guards on and teeth brushed. It took only moments to dress, everything was laid out and ready. My Garmin watch went on the wrist and finally I pulled on an old sweater to keep me warm while waiting for the start. I am excited and apprehensive at the same time. Several deep breaths to focus and review my preparations, I have everything, I feel great, I am ready to go!


Leaving the house right on schedule at 5:30 I pickup up a friend from church who was to walk the half marathon. Dick is 74 years young having done his first half last spring told me on the drive that his goal is to complete a half marathon in under 3 hours. Wonderful!!


Pulling into the parking lot I never cease to be amazed at the logistics needed to handle over 8000 participants. Long rows of port-a-potties, with their interiors thoughtfully lit with glow sticks. Hand washing stations with plenty of cold water so we can at least start the race with decent hygiene. Several box trucks lined up to transport our drop bag miles from the start, across the Missouri River to the finish line. Lines of school buses waiting to take spectators from the start to the finish and later return both spectators and runners back to the starting line parking area.

It's 6:00 AM and my team is beginning to gather. We meet by the bag drop area and get to see many old friends that we haven't seen in some time. It is a great way to be re-united and re-connected with some of the best people in the world all there for a common purpose and with a common goal. We are there to challenge ourselves not just physically but also mentally, and whether it is 13.1 miles or 26.2 miles it is a challenge.
For the next hour 8000 people make one last port-a-potty stop. Most take some nutrition, GU's, Chomps, etc. Distance runners have a language of their own. Then some water to wash it down. The sky is lightening and we know it is time to make our way to the start area.


Big orange signs with black numbers beckon runners to line up according to their target pace per mile. My team walks over together and line up under the 10 minute per mile sign. Hugs and high five's abound, everyone, absolutely everyone is smiling, happy and ready to begin our quest, our journey. Faintly in the distance we begin to hear the National Anthem being sung, the one thing race organizers never do well is a sound system. Slowly the crowd quiets, hats come off, we turn towards the flag. As in any sporting event the cheer rises before the anthem is complete, the race is about to begin.



Off come the old sweatshirts, sweaters, or trash bags that have been keeping our arms and chests warm, they fall to the pavement giving us a carpet of warmth to begin our march to the start line. It will take our group just under seven minutes to get to the actual start line, that is when the electronic chip attached to our race number bib will activate our personal time and that is when our race begins!



For the next four hours our objective will be to put our left foot in front of our right. We will repeat that over forty six thousand times as we cover 26.2 miles. It sounds so simple, but that is far from the truth.


More tomorrow,
RunGrampyRun

No comments:

Post a Comment